About Me

How you can help

  • Positive Thoughts, Discussions, Prayers
  • Support for Theresa, Jodi, Jamie
  • Transportation to Abq for treatments. http://carecalendar.org/index.php 64657, 1402
  • No Flowers please

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Onset of cancer

This may be more than most of you want to know, just skip and scan as you wish.

Symptoms: I had unusual bleeding starting mid-January. By mid-February, started having weird pain and muscle cramps in lower abdomen, so made appt. with Dr.

Wednesday, 2/25/09 - Had a pelvic ultrasound.

Tuesday, 3/3/09 (square root day!) - I got a call from my Dr. (Van Eeckhout) telling me the ultrasound from the previous week didn't look good. Found some masses on my ovaries. She asked me to go to S.F. Wednesday for a CA-125 blood test.

Thursday, 3/5/09 - Dr. Van Eeckhout called to say blood test shows cancer, that Theresa and I should go to S.F. right away and plan to spend the day having tests and getting prepped for surgery.

Friday, 3/6/09 - Met with the Gynecological Oncologist, Karen Moller, and she went over the results and upcoming procedures.
Results: masses on my ovaries about the size of baseballs, some masses on my lymph nodes and abdomen. Probably stage 3 ovarian cancer.
Tuesday I will have surgery in Albuquerque at Presbyterian. She will do a full hysterectomy, remove the masses and check everything out. Dr. says success is leaving no larger than 1cm masses. I will be in the hospital 4 - 7 days. (I'm choosing 4.) Once I recover from the surgery, chemo therapy will begin. I will most likely go with the most aggressive which will require more time and kick me harder. The chemo will take place in Albuquerque.

Tuesday, 3/10/09 - will have surgery at 12:30

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for being so open and informative about your cancer, Cheri. You have a great attitude, sense of humor and positive outlook on everything and I know this will benefit you well in the coming months of treatment.
    I think this blog is a great idea! Many of us want to hear how you are doing and this will spare you from losing your voice recounting the same report over and over and over...
    My positive thoughts for you have already began. I can already see the score...Cheri "1", Cancer "0".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be thinking positive thoughts for you today while you have surgery.
    You give so much to this community and your generosity is amazing. The trip you offer to Pagosa Springs every year is becoming an annual event that all the kids look forward to and fits so very well with our mission as a faith community. I'm sorry if we have not thanked you and Theresa enough for all you do.
    I agree with Jason that you have a great attitude, wonderful sense of humor, and positive outlook.
    I can bring food and drive you to Albuquerque whenever you need me. I can take care of Jamie. I can help out at the Cottage if you need anything in that regard. All my love--Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri, You are a shining star to us and our hearts and prayers and love and laughter are with you through this. You're recovery is what we are ready for, each step of it, and we just love you big time.

    Love, Allison, Walt, Miles, Jack, Harley and Thundercloud too

    Strength and Peace to Theresa, Jodi and Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheri and family,
    The prayers, thoughts, and best wishes for strength and HOPE during the road ahead are sent from all those who love you at Barranca School! You have done so much for us - please let us do for you whatever you need!!!
    Hugs,
    Sharon Allen

    ReplyDelete